Challenging DUI Evidence in Philadelphia
What defenses can be raised in your case?
When people are arrested for DUI, the biggest mistake they make is to assume
there is no hope and plead guilty in hopes of receiving lighter penalties.
While DUI cases present both prosecutors and defense attorneys with clear
statutory and constitutional hurdles, prosecutors still must demonstrate
that every element of a crime has been established beyond a reasonable
doubt and that a defendant's constitutional rights were not violated.
At Parkinson, Tarpey & Lloyd, each of our
criminal lawyers in Philadelphia are
former prosecutors and together, we offer you
over 40 years of combined experience. Not only have we tried literally thousands of cases, but two of our attorneys
are included in
The National Trial Lawyers: Top 100 Trial Lawyers. When it comes to challenging DUI evidence, we are the law firm to trust!
Ways to Effectively Question DUI Evidence
Philadelphia DUI attorneys, we have extensive courtroom trial experience. We know the ins and outs
of the court system and we know how to challenge the scientific and legal
issues that intersect in DUI cases. Challenges to be raised in a DUI case include:
- The stop was invalid because there as no reasonable suspicion.
- The stop was pretextual (arrests for minor offenses that enable police
to detain suspects for investigation of other matters).
- The officer's detention of the driver exceeded the reasonable amount
of time for the purpose of the stop.
- The officer's stop for drunk driving was based on all of the wrong
- The officer did not have a right to stop the defendant because the officer
relied on a citizen's tip, which has no proof of reliability.
- There was no probable cause to make an arrest.
- The officer did not have probable cause to make an arrest based on the
administration of the field sobriety tests (SFSTs), and the blood alcohol
results should be suppressed.
- The officer did not have probable cause for an arrest because the suspect
refused all SFSTs and chemical tests.
- The field sobriety tests are inadmissible because the defendant was not
free to leave the scene during the investigation. Under Miranda guidelines,
the suspect was in custody.
Contact a Skilled DUI Lawyer Today!
The above challenges are only the tip of the iceberg. DUI prosecutions
are among the most difficult cases for a prosecutor to handle, especially
for new prosecutors who are usually the one's assigned to these types
of cases. DUI cases almost always deal with technical and scientific testimony,
but they should always involve a skilled and knowledgeable defense attorney
who has done his or her homework.
If you were arrested for DUI, we urge you to contact
Parkinson, Tarpey & Lloyd to discuss your case for free with one of our Philadelphia DUI lawyers.
We are on your side and we are highly experienced in the field of DUI
defense – let us use our knowledge to challenge the DUI evidence
in your case!